Organically caring for and maintaining roses is the best method to grow them. Organic rose gardens are less polluting and they create a healthy environment. There are several simple things you can do to help your roses grow and keep your garden organic and insecticide-free.
- Powdery mildew can be prevented with a mixture of baking soda and horticulture oil. To make the mixture - Mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda with 2.5 tablespoons of horticulture oil in a gallon of water.
- Rust can be treated with sulfur based fungicides. You can also dust your roses with sulfur powder.
- Neem oil is a very good insecticide too. It effectively treats powdery mildew, rust and black spots on roses.
- You can also try antitranspirants sprays to prevent mildew and mites. Research in Israel has shown positive results. The only drawback is that you have to use them regularly.
- Liquid fish and kelp spray are very useful against common rose diseases or insects. This organic pest control method can be sprayed on the foliage or in the soil. It may have a strong odor for about 24 hours.
- Mycorrhizal fungus attaches itself to the rose roots. It uses some of their stored carbohydrates but in return, it makes more minerals available for your rose plants. Grow marigolds near your roses and see your rose plants become healthier.
Prevention Of Earwigs Infestation
If your roses are infested with earwigs, the best way to get rid of them is by trapping them. Set traps in the form of loosely rolled newspapers, inverted clay pots, or simply a bamboo stick. Inspect the traps every morning and put the trapped earwigs in a can of soapy water to kill them. Trapping earwigs should be enough to bring the population under control.
Other Important Factors To Keep In Mind For Your Organic Rose Garden
There are hundreds of varieties of roses. A simple fact is that some roses are more resistant to diseases than others. Certain roses are more suited to a particular area than others. So before you plant a rose, find out whether it is suited to your area. A little effort from your side and you can enjoy your organic garden with your family and friends.
Technorati Tags: No Tags
Related Tags: No Tags
Possible Related Posts